Friday, March 16, 2012

Unassisted... Birth?! (part 2)

So, I think I missed a crucial step in the process of explaining things, and that is, Why? Why would we decide this is the best option when we have a hospital 2 miles down the road? Well, I will list the reasons for you, and then explain those.

  1. Labor- The first thing that comes to mind when you think of having a baby in the hospital is a woman laying on her back being told to "PUSH!" with her legs being pushed for resistance. Let me just tell you that laboring on your back is more painful that standing or squatting! I know because I have done both. I had the most horrible back labor with my son, because I thought that's what you were "supposed" to do is lay down and labor. Not so much! When I was walking around, be it slowly, or squatting or sitting on a birthing ball my contractions with my daughter were never as painful as with my son. Not to mention that laying on your back takes gravity out of the equation, and leaves your body to do the entirety of the work, so labor slows or comes to a stop altogether. That's why most mom's that go in to the hospital in early labor end up getting pitocin and sometimes even a "failure to progress" stamp and rolled away to surgery.  In addition to all this! Physiologically, that's not an easy way for baby to come out. It actually makes your pelvis much more narrow by laying down, whereas squatting opens up your pelvis for the baby to have as much room as you can give them to go through the birth canal. So many reasons not to labor on your back! 
  2. Medicines- I am a huge proponent of a natural birth and all the wonderful things that come from a 100% natural birth! Having said that, I will tell you that given the opportunity, I would have taken the epidural for my first, because I was just so tired and done with labor, I wanted a baby already! I know for me, having the option of meds would be a very hard thing to resist so close. BUT if I am not in the place to get any meds, I won't even think about it. I am so happy that I did not get meds with either of my births, because of the natural "cocktail" of hormones my body produced made for a wonderful after birth bonding experience for the babies and for me! Babies born to mothers who did not have any pain meds are more alert and willing to breast feed earlier than those that have had meds. 
  3. Cutting/Episiotomy- I know this one is almost non-existent in hospitals now, but it does still happen. Most OB's know now that with tearing you heal faster, with little or no pain, but with a cut and stitches it's much worse for your body to recover, plus you now would need pain meds to go home with, as well. It just simply isn't needed, and I would rather tear, as strange as that sounds, that get cut. I did tear with my first, and had NO idea. I felt no pain from it during birth, immediately after birth or during the 6 weeks recovery time.
  4. C-section rates- I shared this in my last post. The only hospital we can go to, (because there is only one that you can deliver at in town), has a c-section rate of 47%. That's all I think I need to say.  
  5. Pulling- Most mom's delivering a baby in the hospital will never even notice this, but there are many OB's that like to pull the baby out, or push your vagina out of the way to get to baby's head to pull them out. Then, after the baby is born, they clamp and cut the cord, and hand the baby to you, and start pulling on the umbilical cord to try and get the placenta to separate from the uterine wall. Usually during this time, they will give you a shot of pitocin, or the like to get your uterus to contract heavily to help in the separation of the placenta. There are serious problems that can come from both of these pulling techniques. Erecessive bleeding or hemorrhaging is just one of the things that can happen. The uterus can actually tear as well, which obviously is a very bad thing! I'm good without either being the case.
  6. Cord clamping- This is something that I wish I had known more about before this pregnancy. I have done extensive research regarding the "delayed cord clamping" idea. It makes sense that God would make it unnecessary to hurry up and clamp the cord, because it does it all by itself. Just like all the other things that take place during a low risk pregnancy and birth, God made our bodies awesome creations, indeed! He thought of everything!! Why do I need to "fix" it? Nothing scientifically shows any need to keep the baby from approximately 1/3-1/2 their blood by early cord clamping. I linked a video above to show a demonstration of how this works. But the whole idea of cord blood banking basically says that the baby has no need for this blood, or the stem cells that are in the cord blood, either. This simply is not true, and I want my baby to have every advantage of fighting off diseases and illnesses, like I'm sure 100% of the rest of parents out there! :) This cord blood and stems cells do just that, that's why God put them there, and it makes all the sense in the world to fight for your kids in this way. It's a simple process of waiting until the cord stops pulsating, or is white instead of purple. This can take as little as 60 second to 15 minutes, but is it that long? No, even in the extreme case of having to wait for the placenta to be born, it's really not that long, maybe 30 minutes. Lots of research proves it actually helps baby! But in an attempt to hurry the process of birth up, hospitals like to cut the cord immediately and get the mom to the recovery room and baby to nursery quickly for the next woman behind them to come into that room.  
  7. Separation of mom and baby- This is actually one of those instinctual things that I just can't imagine it any other way, to be honest. I have never had anyone take my baby away from my sight during a birth experience, and I am not in favor of that happening in a hospital setting. I know the hospitals will say they will respect your wishes, and not do anything that you don't want done behind closed door, and I want to trust that to be the truth, but I just can't do it. Maybe I am just paranoid, and I am at peace with that, lol! This next point will explain this more.
  8. Vaccines/injections/medicines- We have decided not to vaccinate our children for religious reasons, (for the most part, that is). This a very hard thing to do in a hospital setting for birth, since they literally have the Hep B, vitamin K injection, and "eye goop" lying right next to all the newborn supplies for suctioning, and drying off baby. I know this is a hard decision for some parents to understand, so I will just say this: I am not asking any parent to do what we do, since each child is different, I highly recommend you do LOTS of praying and LOTS of research on all topics and decisions relating to your children. I only know that this is what we feel like God has asked us to do for our children, and I am not willing to risk the serious side effects or injuries of vaccines due to negligence/disobedience on my part. This is a subject that I am regularly am researching, and in fact have a binder of information supporting our decision with Biblical principals or scientific facts. This definitely has not been a flippant, rebellious decision, and therefore we cannot do anything other than be obedient in this area.
  9.  Stress- When I am birthing, I just want to be quiet, and left alone for the most part. It helps to have a dark, familiar place to be in during labor. There have been many professionals that relate it to a very similar situation as making love. Think of the atmosphere in which you would want to be in to make love. It's not some place where you are listening to monitors, and people are coming in and out with loud areas and lack of privacy. All that would do is stress a mom out, which then leads to tension of the muscles of her body, including the uterus, slowing contractions, and making it difficult for the contractions to be effective, and it becomes more painful because her body is literally fighting itself. Plus, for me, all I would be thinking about is all the above things that would be problems for me, which would be a major stress for me. I would want to lock myself in the bathroom and not come out! 
Now, I know that if something happened, and I decided something wasn't right, and I needed help or intervention, that doesn't change who I am as a mother, and it's not the worst thing that will ever happen! I would never tell a mom where she needs to birth, or whether or not to get any pain medicines, because it's not my birth or my body! That has to be a personal choice! Just like with all these topics of why I am not wanting to go to the hospital. These are just our choices, not what I would tell anyone else they should have done, or should do! I have this saying I like to tell people, "There are non-negotiable, ethical reasons why we cannot do some things, and then there are my preferences, which can change due to situations that may arise." I hope this is helpful in explaining the Whys in our decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment