Saturday, April 16, 2011

Am I the Only One?!


So lately, since Drummer boy and I have been thinking of having another baby, I have been online looking at all kinds of stuff. The #1 thing on my hit list is usually a breastfeeding mom's site, just cause I want to go into it as completely informed as humanly possible, and then maybe get to my goal of nursing for 1 full year. I was on face book on one of the pages I am currently a member of, and someone was talking about when their baby was born, 5 days early, the nursing staff took him away to the nursery, and wouldn't let mom see him, touch him, or feed him for that long! Instead they gave him formula and pacifiers and refused mom seeing him! That is just ridiculous to me! *This is where I get mad!* So many new moms, whether it's their first, or fifteenth baby, go into the hospital/Dr's office and just do as their told, instead of finding out ahead of time what they want to do. I am so saddened by the amount of mothers/parents that are so ill-informed about their rights/responsibilities when it comes to their children. Do you guys even know that a hospital cannot take your baby out of your sight without your permission?! Do you realize that anything they need to do can be done with you either holding the baby or with them?! Do you also know that you do not HAVE to have all this extra *stuff* pumped into your baby at birth?! I read somewhere recently, (as I usually read something about children's medical stuff regularly), that giving a baby the prescribed dose of vaccines at birth is like giving a 180 lb man 5 gallons of the same?! Doesn't that sound like too much to you?! I know that every parent has the right to refuse these medical advisories, but so many parents don't think they have an option, and that it is the best thing for them! Doing 10 minutes of research will pull up so much stuff for you to read on the subject, you can be so well informed when it comes to your child's health! If you are willing to spend 9 months pregnant, and then 18-30 years living with this person God so lovingly gifts you, the least you should be willing to do is invest some time finding out the common practices of your hospital/birthing place/doctor/anyone giving advice!



I digress... This isn't meant to be a post about vaccines, it's meant to be a post about birth and parenting and what's best for your particular child.
The fact that a hospital is NOT allowing something, should raise some red flags, folks! Let's think about this, just for a second. If it's called medical advice, then why do we treat it as Gospel?! If a Dr goes to school for 8-10 years, does that then mean that he has the corner on the market? NO! But, it does mean that he has been taught that this is how things need to work, so that your birth is his income revenue and business. I am of the opinion that I and my husband are responsible for the care and well-being of our kids, not the doctor/hospital. I regularly go against medical advice (AMA), and my kids are both healthy, and I am not upset that we didn't take the time to make better decisions when it comes to their health. We can always add something, but we can never take things away. I also think, if you are uncertain of the benefits of some medical advice, then you have the right to refuse treatment until you are at peace with your decision, knowing as much as you possibly can on the subject. I am also of the mind that breast milk is of superior quality no matter how old your child is, and you have the right to feed your kids whatever you think is best. If you think hot dogs and big mac's are it, then by all means, be my guest! But! I will say, even in that, every parent should be informed of the effect that food has on their growing body! My kids have long since weaned of nursing, but if I had known then, what I know today, people would be raising their eyebrows at me, and talking behind my back about how "I can't believe she is still nursing her 2 YO!" Yeah! That's OK, you have my permission to talk, because it's about the only thing you can do that will help you be OK with what I am doing, I guess. But, (to bring this full circle), I would like to know, (not that it's possible), how long did Jesus nurse for? How long do you think children nurse for in third world countries? When did it become so "bad", "unhealthy", or "wrong" to nurse your baby? I am appalled that so many moms are not supported by the very people that should be promoting health and well being in her new born, the hospitals and doctors of this country! Since when has formula become better than breast milk for a preemie? In fact, if you do a tiny bit of research on the subject you will find that breast milk is what that preemie in the NICU NEEDS! to become a "full term" baby! So, instead of ranting to a mom who probably already feels terrible at this situation, I will tell a (again) not-so-listening audience here! :)
I just want to know one thing... Am I the only one who googles

No comments:

Post a Comment